ArticlesDRAWING CHECK LIST
When preparing casting drawings, the Engineer should address the items below, and include appropriate information on the drawings for each applicable item. Contact Potterfield with any questions.
1. Casting Process (sand cast, investment cast, die cast, etc.)
2. Casting Specification (ASTM B26, SAE J434, AMS 5344, etc). Also, identify your requirements from the specification:
3. Heat Treat Requirements not defined in the Casting Specification above
4. Casting weight in pounds, or volume in cubic inches
5. Dimensional Tolerances
6. Fillet, Edge and Corner Radii (state minimum or maximum sizes with tolerances)
7. As-Cast Surface Finish (max RMS)
8. Surface defects – Specify which are allowed and disallowed - (size, type and quantity).
9. Machining Stock- Specify which surfaces are to be machined, preferrably by including a machining mark on each surface to be machined, and let the foundry add an adequate amount of machining stock to the casting in those locations.
10. Draft – Indicate amount allowed in degrees for each surface where draft is allowed or required. Specify whether draft adds or subtracts from dimensions.
11. Gate & Riser Stubs – Specify maximum height for those that may be left on machined surfaces. For all others, indicate maximum height allowed, or indicate that they should be ground flush.
12. Tooling Point Locations or Datums (these may be graphically presented)
13. Holes – Specify Cast or Machined for all holes.
14. Cast Identification – Detail the desired numbers, letters, or graphics, and show locations. Some restrictions apply to location and there are lower limits on size. Raised characters are preferred. Recessed characters are possible in limited applications.
15. Weld Repair – May be necessary for repair of defects, depending upon design requirements. Crack repair should never be authorized. Call out the weld repair procedure and/or specification.
16. Inspection and Testing (Visual, Dimensional, Radiographic, Liquid Dye Penetrant, Magnetic Particle, Chemical Analysis, Mechanical Tests, Leak tests, Proof tests, Corrosion Tests, etc.) Include applicable specification numbers .
17. Hot Isostatic Pressing (Hipping)
18. Surface Cleaning (abrasive blasting, pickling, passivating, etc.)
19. Surface Finishing (paint, powder coat, anodize, etc.) Specify thicknesses and procedures. Provide specifications numbers.
20. Special identification marking
21. Packaging Requirements
Please Contact Us with questions, or for more specific information.
Click here to go back to Articles Index